Monday, October 17, 2011

In the Blink of an Eye

I was sick last week.  Bad cold, touch of flu, whatever.  Felt lousy all week, so I didn't get a lot of work done.  I saved my energy for the important things.  Like football games.

A friend of mine scolded me for dragging myself out to a football game on Thursday (I didn't mention to her I'd already done a game on Tuesday).  And I was out there again on Sunday.  Why?  Well, my elder grandson's newly formed 7th grade Spirit Band (we used to call it Pep Band) played for the first time at the game on Tuesday and my elder granddaughter's 7th grade cheerleader squad was doing their game on Thursday (different schools) and my younger grandson's 5th grade team had their first playoff game on Sunday - he's a linebacker.



But that still doesn't answer why.  As my friend pointed out, the kids would forgive me for missing their games if I was sick.  They truly would.  But I know something at this point in my life I didn't know when my own kids were young.  I understand about "in the blink of an eye" and "it's the little moments" and "building memories". 

If we hadn't been at Tuesday game, we couldn't have offered to bring him home so his dad could leave early to get our younger granddaughter to bed.  And we would have missed this:

"That was so awesome. How did we sound, Nana?  Did we sound okay?"
"You sounded great."
"Really?  Thanks.  And thanks for being there."

If we hadn't been at the Thursday game, we would have missed the opportunity to stay with her for the evening while my son and his wife went out, and I would have missed our "girl talk" at bedtime, about life and love and all those things that are important to a young woman just entering her teens.

If we hadn't been at Sunday's game we would have missed seeing him get his first two quarterback sacks and having him race over to me after the game, helmet in hand, all excited...

"Two sacks! I got two sacks. Did you see them, Nana?"
"Of course, I saw them.  You played great.  I'm proud of you."
"Thanks, Nana."


That's my boy - number 21, with his shoulder to the turf.

My younger granddaughter - the only one who wasn't involved in a football game last week - has a choir concert this evening.  I'm really behind on everything, tons of work to do.  Guess where I'll be tonight.

So, what are the things you won't miss, and why?

Groaner of the Day:  There was this guy and he had a girlfriend called Lorraine who was very pretty and he liked her a lot.

One day he went to work to find that a new girl had started. Her name was Clearly and she was absolutely gorgeous. He became quite besotted with her and after a while it became obvious that she was interested in him too.

But this guy was a loyal man and he wouldn't get involved with Clearly while he was still going out with Lorraine.

He decided that there was nothing for it but to break up with her and get it on with the new girl.

He planned several times to tell Lorraine but he couldn't bring himself to do it. One day they went for a walk along the river bank when Lorraine slipped and fell in to the river. The current carried her off and she drowned.

For a moment the guy was devastated.  Then he ran off smiling and singing: "I can see Clearly now Lorraine has gone."

(oh that's so bad)


29 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Made the choices years ago to get to as many things and make as many memories as possible involving my grandchildren. I haven't regretted it EVER. My oldest grandson now has a son of his own and the smiles when he watches us together tell me he remembers everything.

You're right -- the groaner is so-o-o-o bad :-)

Angela Brown said...

Arrgh! Now I'm going to have that song in my head all day lol!!!

My kiddo is pretty young but when she was playing in a kid's b-ball division, I tried to make every game, even though her games started at 6 pm and I don't get off work until 6 pm. It was rough but I was always glad to be there for her.

LD Masterson said...

Mary - We grandmothers understand.

(Sorry about the groaner. *grin*)

LD Masterson said...

Angela - It could be worse. After watching my granddaughter's game, I got one of their cheers stuck in my head. Can't get rid of it. Argh!

Enjoy your kiddo. You can't believe how fast she'll be grown.

Maria Zannini said...

You're lucky it didn't turn into pneumonia, hardhead.

But I understand completely. Grandmas wear permanent halos in their grandkids' eyes.

LD Masterson said...

Maria - So I have a permanent halo attached to a hardhead? How does it look?

Dru said...

You are so lucky and your grandchildren will remember all the games you attend. Enjoy them!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I don't have kids, but when we had foster kids, we went to everything. Sometimes we went to see them in things even after they had moved on from us. One girl really remembers all of that and we are the only foster parents she's stayed in contact with over the years. (And now she's grown and a mother herself.)

Maria Zannini said...

That halo is more permanent when it's attached to a hard head. :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Oh Linda! That groaner was a real groaner.

When my kids were younger and in sports or whatever, my husband and I were there to support them. We still do it, too. Now, if they ever decide to bestow us some grandchildren, I'd love to continue the tradition. But it ain't to be, yet, and I'm not holding my breath!

LD Masterson said...

Dru - Absolutely lucky. No question.

LD Masterson said...

Diane - Letting someone know they matter, even down to the little things, is a great gift. One you obviously gave. You should feel good about that.

LD Masterson said...

Maria - Well, then I guess this one is staying with me. Hope it looks good on me. *grin*

LD Masterson said...

Stacy - Aw come on, that was a good groaner. Hope your kids come through with those grandkids while you're still young enough to enjoy them.

LD Masterson said...

Hey, Maria - I'm having trouble with this halo. It doesn't fit right over the horns.

Pidg said...

I work from home and the kids, even though they're older, don't seem to support that. They always find their way into my work room. There are 5 chairs in my room. {And I have 5 of 6 kids still at home.) I wouldn't miss that...I can't shew them away...one's already in college and you're so right, it all happened in the blink of an eye.

So sweet by the way, the comment you left on my blog about your grandson texting you. That is so awesome :)

Sarah Tokeley said...

What a lovely post. I'd much rather drop everything and do something with my kids than whatever |I should be doing :-)

And yes, that joke is a definite groaner!

LD Masterson said...

Pidg - I think it's great that you have all those chairs in your work room. It says a lot.

LD Masterson said...

Sarah - I didn't always remember to do that with my own kids but I'm determined to get it right with the grandkids.

Hey, we all need a good groan now and then.

Unknown said...

I love my writing and I'm pretty dedicated to writing everyday (even when sick) but when it comes to family, I think it's important to spend time doing things with them. YOu can't get that time back.

About the joke: groan...

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better - but can't blame you for not wanting to miss anything. Such great memories. And you can't get that time back. :)

Cate Masters said...

When my grandkids are old enough, I can't wait to attend their events, just as I did for my kids. For now, they're bundles of energy running around the house and yard!

LD Masterson said...

Clarissa - Very true (about the time and about the joke).

LD Masterson said...

Liz - Thank you. I'm feeling much better. You know, three of my grandparents lived well into my adult years but the memories I treasure of them come from my childhood. Those are the memories I want to create for my guys.

LD Masterson said...

Cate - Enjoy the little bundle of energy stage. It will be gone too soon.

Melissa Sugar said...

Linda, I know what you mean about those moments. I am not a grandmother, but I did have my kids when I was older than I wanted to be plus my husband is 67 so he is more grandad than daddy age. I treasure all of those moments that become memories.

I just tried to leave a comment on today's adorable photo post, but my computer or browser or something is all screwed up because the comment page just goes blank. The photos did however brighten my day and you guessed my 3rd "aw" right when I said it to myself.

Thanks for sharing & I hope you feel better. I am going to email you later this week as I am very interested in the crit partner issue.

LD Masterson said...

Melissa - I think parents who have their kids later in life tend to make more time for them. Older means wiser, I guess.

Glad you liked the Hump Day sillies. Sorry Blogger won't let you comment. It can be so fussy sometimes.

I'll watch for your e-mail.

Maryannwrites said...

I really do need to start reading your posts on time. LOL

This one really made me smile. Those moments are priceless, and I have the best relationship with my three adult grandchildren, built over the years we made those moments count. My oldest grandson still talks about how we used to go creek walking, and the little dog we would take for walks who would get tired and turn into a rug.

And the groaner? What can I say about that except it is so bad.

LD Masterson said...

Maryann - No, drop by anytime.

I'm glad you have that relationship with your adult grandkids. That's exactly what I'm working on now.