Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Where the Heck is She?

Yup, I missed last Friday's post (planned) and yesterday's (unplanned).  Let me tell you why.

It all started a couple months ago when I realized my hubby and I needed more desktop space.  We were always having to move eath other's papers out of the way to use the desk/computer.  But there really wasn't room for another desk or work surface in our office/guest room so I decided to change our two spare bedrooms from office/guest room and grandkids' room to office and grandkids' room/guest room. 

Since we were going to do all this moving, it seemed like the perfect time to give the room a major face lift.  New paint, new molding, new carpet - the works.

Step one was to empty the office/guest room of everything except the computer desk (have to keep the computer up), including the closet.  This led to a massive purging of old clothes and the dumping of furniture and stuff into every spare corner of other bedrooms.  The paint was picked and purchased, as was the floor, door, and window molding.  We got to this point early last month.  And stopped.

I'm not sure why.  Part of it was my fear that I'd picked the wrong color paint and would hate it.  Part was...well...laziness.  But there we were.  Everything ready but no forward progress.

Then two things happened.  One, the weather turned cold and I had to bring in all the plants from the deck that I keep inside for the winter.  Two, it was time to put up the Christmas decorations.  But the places I always put the incoming plants were occupied by all the stuff from the almost empty room, as were the places I usually store the things I take down to make room for Christmas.

Oops.

Two choices.  Dump everything that needed a temporary home into the "office" or finish the blasted project.

On Saturday, we ripped out all the old molding and removed the closet doors (full wall closet - big doors).  Then I painted (hubby isn't much of a painter) the ceiling and the inside of the closet white (two different paints).  Sunday,  I painted all the walls.   Yesterday, I painted all the molding and the window.  The molding was easy, the window required the usual scraping and cleaning.

Now everything gets to dry for a couple days while we order the carpet. Then the new molding gets installed, followed by the carpet and I can start moving things into our new office.


But this is my current work space:


Not too comfortable since I have to keep the window open so it won't dry closed (remember what I said about the weather) so my trips to the computer are short lived.  Please forgive me if I fall a little behind visiting your blog and leaving comments for a few days.  I'll get caught up as soon as order is restored.

Hope things are a little calmer in your world and all my NaNo-ing friends are breaking through that 50,000 word mark.

Groaner of the Day:  Although he was a qualified meteorologist, Hopkins ran up a terrible record of forecasting for the TV news programme. He became something of a local joke when a newspaper began keeping a record of his predictions and showed that he'd been wrong almost three hundred times in a single year.

That kind of notoriety was enough to get him fired.

He moved to another part of the country and applied for a similar job. But in the interview for the post, they asked him the one question he was dreading: "What was the reason for you leaving your last job?"

Hopkins replied, "The climate didn't agree with me."

16 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Love the plastic sheeting. Gives the office a kind of transparent homey touch. :o)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't you love it when a project spirals out of control as one thing leads to another?
Let the paint dry and we'll see you soon. Just don't watch the paint dry, because that's boring.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Green, huh? My son painted his room green (he was really into those Ninja Turtles) and it only lasted about a month when he wanted a new color. I told him NO WAY! Especially when I asked him several times "Are you sure?"

I swear, when the sun shone, that room had an eerie glow!

I kind of liked the groaner. Thought it was funny.

Angela Brown said...

Sometimes we need "inspiration" to bite the bullet and jump on the project. Yours just needed a bit more inspiration. But you did it.

Unknown said...

My walls are white ... and have been for 30 years. I'd paint, but I'd have to move the mess. Believe my your picture is neat and tidy compared to mine.

Maria Zannini said...

I've got a painting job coming up in a couple of weeks. Interested?

Hey, put down that hammer!

What color carpet are you getting?

Pidg said...

See, that's how all of my projects go. I'm glad you're finally getting through it! Love the green walls ;)

Jessica R. Patch said...

Projects. Love and hate em! I love the color you chose! :)

I groaned, but it was chased by a giggle.

LD Masterson said...

Mary - "Transparent?" Are you competing with my groaners? *grin*

LD Masterson said...

Alex - Don't worry about my watching the paint dry. Too cold in here. Just making quick visits.

LD Masterson said...

Stacy - The green is deeper than it appeared in the flash so no Turtle feel (thank goodness).

LD Masterson said...

Angela - I guess there's inspiration and there's necessity. Guess which finally moved me to action.

LD Masterson said...

Kay - That's why the room is getting the total facelift at one time. If I've got to move my mess, I'm only doing it once!

LD Masterson said...

Maria - No hammer needed, this is an easy one. I'll be happy to do your painting but you have to get me down there. *heh heh heh*

Carpet - light colored berber with flecks of other colors in it. I'll take a picture when we get it.

LD Masterson said...

Pidg - Thanks. The green is a little deeper than it looks in the picture. Way different from the beige I painted over. Molding, window, and doors will be bright white. Hope it looks the way I'm picturing it when it's all done.

LD Masterson said...

Jessica - Thanks. Right now I'm solidly on the hate em side but hopefully that will change when we're done.