Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Is It the Joke or the Jokester?

Happy Hump Day

I didn't get this Hump Day post put together yesterday because a couple apartment building fires in the area caused the Red Cross to open a shelter and I was doing shelter duty. 

(Yes, this is a blatant plug for the Red Cross but it always amazes me how many people don't realize it's the Red Cross that takes care of the victims of small local disasters.)

Since I'm behind schedule, I thought I'd cheat just a little and post part of the funny e-mail I received yesterday.  It's not new, it's one that's been floating around in some form for years but it always gives me a laugh. These are questions (actual game show questions) and answers (the unscripted ad libs) from the original Hollywood Squares game show, with guest stars like Paul Lynde, Charlie Weaver, George Gobel, and Rose Marie.

But as I was picking out a few for this post, the thought occurred to me that many of you don't know who these people are. They're simply before your time. Which led to a second thought - does the humor lie in the joke or the jokester?  Are some lines only funny if you can visualize the speaker and hear their voice?

So this is part Hump Day post and part experiment. After you read these, please leave me a comment and tell me: one, if you remember these guys, and two, if their lines gave you a laugh.




Q. When you pat a dog on its head he will wag his tail.  What will a goose do?
A. Paul Lynde: Make him bark.

Q. Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get older?
A. Charley Weaver: My sense of decency.

Q. As you grow older, do you tend to gesture more or less with your hands while talking?
A. Rose Marie: You ask me one more growing old question, Peter, and I'll give you a gesture you'll never forget.

Q. True or False, a pea can last as long as 5,000 years.
A. George Gobel: Boy, it sure seems that way sometimes.

Q. According to Ann Landers, what are two things you should never do in bed?
A. Paul Lynde: Point and laugh

Q. In bowling, what's a perfect score?
A. Rose Marie:  Ralph, the pin boy.

Q. It is considered in bad taste to discuss two subjects at nudist camps. One is politics, what is the other?
A. Paul Lynde:  Tape measures.

 Q. Charley, you've just decided to grow strawberries. Are you going to get any during the first year?
A. Charley Weaver: Of course not, I'm too busy growing strawberries.

Q. Paul, is there anything that can make a monkey cry?
A. Paul Lynde: Yes ... when Cheetah found out that Tarzan swings both ways.


And for your "aw" moment, I offer...
Friends



 

Okay, be sure to leave a comment on my "oldies" question.  I hope these funnies helped you over the "hump" and on your way to the weekend. 

Questions of the Day:   

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavoring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons? 

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
 

21 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I had to pop in before my Indies 4 Hire event started today.

I remember all these people. They were priceless.

Guess you'll have to ask younger people if it's the joke or the jokester.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Point and laugh - funny! Yes, I do remember those people. Game show junkie when I was a kid. Every now and then I'll watch the old Match Game reruns.

LD Masterson said...

Maria - They don't make game shows like that anymore. Or comedians, either (I miss Paul Lynde).

LD Masterson said...

Alex - Ah, that's two votes for "I remember them and they were funny." Now we'll see what the younger generation has to say.

Carol Kilgore said...

I remember those funnies! And they're still funny :)

Nicki Elson said...

Hollywood Squares! Totally remember that show, though I could only picture Rose Marie and Paul Lynde, and I found ALL of the jokes very funny.

Fun experiment. Oh, and Horsie & Kitty wind for my favorite Aw.

LD Masterson said...

Carol - Can't you just you hear them delivering those lines?

LD Masterson said...

Nikki - Hmm, maybe it's not going to be so easy finding readers that don't remember that show.

Unknown said...

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavoring? They should be able to use the real stuff. It costs more than dish soap.

Funny post :D

LD Masterson said...

Jenn - One of the great mysteries of our time. :-)

Stacy McKitrick said...

I remember them all, but then I'm old, too. I loved Paul Lynde (especially on Bewitched).

Thanks for the laughs. Don't know if it's because of who said them or not, I just think they're FUNNY!

Elliot Grace said...

Hollywood Squares...loved it, all those comedians stacked up and loaded with enough one liners to fill a half hour segment every morning ;)

fun post!

El

Angela Brown said...

Okay...here it comes,
I don't remember any of them.
*ducks head*

As for the humor, oh heck yeah, I got the humor. Did a lot of laughing out loud that made my Chipmunk wonder what I was guffawing about (actually, she just asked if I was okay because the "point and laugh" answer made me laugh so hard I got a little teary eyed lol!

LD Masterson said...

Stacy - It was very hard not to love Paul Lynde.

And you're welcome.

LD Masterson said...

Elliot - One of the most fun filled half hours on TV, then or now.

LD Masterson said...

Angela - No, that's good. I wanted to get feedback from someone who didn't remember them. So even not knowing them, you still loved their lines - that's what I wanted to know.

Mason Canyon said...

Definitely remember these people and the lines are still funny. Maybe it is because I can recall how they sounded and acted. Miss the oldies. Great photos.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

LD Masterson said...

Mason - I feel a little sorry for the generations that won't know these guys.

Sarah Ahiers said...

I'm too young to know who any of these people were. But i did crack a smile on a few of them. The rest were a bit too predictable for my tatste.

LD Masterson said...

Sarah - Thanks for commenting. You're right about the lines being a little predictable. I guess that's where the delivery (who and how) made the difference.

Linda G. said...

Love those Hollywood Squares quotes! And the pics. :)