Monday, October 21, 2013

The Red Sox Win the Pennant - It's a Family Thing

I don't think it will come as a big surprise that I'm a life long Boston Red Sox fan.  So let me get this out of the way first.

THE RED SOX WON THE AMERICAN LEAGUE PENNANT!!!!  WOO WOO!!!



Okay. Thanks. Had to get that out of my system.

It might surprise you to know I haven't lived in the Boston area since I was four, and since then I've lived in some pretty serious baseball towns...including Detroit and Los Angeles.

So why am I still one of the Fenway faithful?

I sometimes joke that it's genetic but that's not far wrong. My parents were Sox fans. My uncles, aunt, and cousins are almost all Sox fans. My brother - who also hasn't lived in Boston since he was a kid - is an ardent Sox fan. My younger son - who has never lived east of Ohio - has always had a Red Sox banner on his wall and his son has slept under a Red Sox blanket all his life.

For us, it's not just the team we root for, it's a family connection. Not matter where we are, we have that same touchstone. And, believe me, it hasn't always been easy. If you're a baseball fan, you've probably heard of the Curse of the Bambino - credited by many for keeping a World Series Championship out of Boston for 86 years.  A curse that was finally broken in 2004.

I remember that night. I was home. My Detroit-Tiger-fan-hubby had already gone to bed. I was sitting in front of the TV, my dad on my landline phone at my right ear, my son on my cell phone at my left, and other family members frantically messaging via the laptop in front of me. We couldn't be together but we're weren't about to celebrate alone.  After the final out, I cheered, I danced, I shared the joy.

A few days later, my uncle - who was especially close to my mom - told me he didn't know which was sweeter, the win or hearing Mom celebrating in the background when he called my dad. By the time the Sox won it all again in 2007, Mom was gone.

Now we're back to the World Series. I'll do my best not to be too distracted but if I'm a little late visiting everyone, please bear with me. It's not just a baseball game. It's a family thing.

GO SOX!!!!


Joke of the Day:

My Favorite Animal
 
Our teacher asked what my favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken." She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else laughed. My parents told me to always tell the truth and I did. Fried chicken is my favorite animal.  Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal's office. I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again.
 
The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was. I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, so I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken. She sent me back to the principal's office. He laughed, and told me not to do it again. I don't understand. My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am.
 
Today, my teacher asked me to tell her what famous person I admired most. I told her, "Colonel Saunders." Guess where I am now...
 

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sure your mother was cheering for them this weekend.

Julie Flanders said...

I understand what you mean. My dad's family are/were all big Sox fans and I always think of my grandpa when they win. He passed away in the 90s and I remember in 2004 I so wished he was alive to see the end of the Curse. I'm sure he was somewhere smiling though and is again now. :)

Enjoy the Series!

Julie Dao said...

I'm a huge Bosox fan, but haven't been following them for a while. I find that when I don't follow them, they do better. Superstition? Maybe.

Robin said...

Even though I am not a sports fan I totally get your Sox thing. It's as much about the connection to a place, your family, a time that doesn't even exist anymore except when that team plays. Well, who wouldn't want to come together and share the love? Go Sox!

Maria Zannini said...

I often tell the story that the reason I had to leave Chicago is because I lacked the "sports gene".

Like Boston, Chicago goes insane for its sports teams. I was not a good fit. LOL.

Congrats to the Red Sox. From what I heard on the news they were always the favorite to win so I'm sure you didn't have to pray too hard.

Unknown said...

Yay for your team's big win! That's such a delighted and exciting feeling. (I'm hoping for Peyton and the Superbowl.) I love me some fried chicken! lol

Sarah Allen said...

I'm with you on the Red Sox :) Gotta love the Great American Pastime :)

Sarah Allen
(From Sarah, with Joy)

LD Masterson said...

Alex - Thank you. I'm sure she was.

Julie - Perhaps he and my mom are watching together.

Julie - Ow. Now I don't know whether to invite you back to rooting or not.

Robin - Go Sox indeed.

Maria - You wouldn't make it in Boston either. I think it's illegal there not to root for the Sox, Pats, Celtics, or Bruins. And never think of your team are the favorite. It's a jinx.

Lexa - Football? Has the football season begun?

Sarah - Definitely.



Mark Koopmans said...

Hey L.D.,

All I can do is tip my hat and wish the Red Sox all the very best, for the players, the team and for the whole of Boston :)

B Strong :)

Nicole Zoltack said...

I'm a Yankees fan. Can't root for the Sox's. I just can't. Sorry!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's wonderful! I'll root for anyone who isn't the Yankees.

Arlee Bird said...

Got a terrific laugh from this post. Not about the Red Sox, but the chicken joke was very funny.

Now I'm craving fried chicken. Must be lunch time.

Lee
Tossing It Out

LD Masterson said...

Mark - Thank you, kind sir.

Nicole - I understand. The feeling is mutual.

Diane - Ah, now here's a woman after my own heart.

Arlee - Go have some chicken.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Yeah, the smartest among end up serving fast food, if they're able to get a job. Me thinks that kid's ahead of his time.

Even though I'm not a sportsfan, I can't help but be excited for the Sox when looking at that picture. Glad your team won.

Be well, LD.
xoRobyn

mshatch said...

We're big Sox fans in my family, too and I remember 2004. That was quite a night!

Jemi Fraser said...

Teehee! :)

My dad was a huge Detroit fan - although he added in the Blue Jays when they came along :). He'd have been happy they got at least that far this year!

LD Masterson said...

Robyn - Thanks. Feel free to root for the Sox in the World Series.

mshatch - We got a great week ahead of us.

Jemi - My hubby is a Detroit fan. I had to be a little reserved in my celebrating when he was around.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Our family was crying all season with the Phillies. But my daughter is at BU and we went to Fenway as her guests when we took her back to college this fall. We're cheering for the SOX in the series and of course for exPhil Victorino.

Heather R. Holden said...

Aw, that's so cool how you and your family can share a love of baseball and the Sox! I've never understood sports, so I don't know what that's like, heh.

Carol Kilgore said...

Love the joke!

And congrats to you and the Red Sox!