Wednesday, April 19, 2017

A Hump Day Quiz

Happy hump day.

Last week's post ran a bit long so I'm going to keep it short and sweet this week. And I have something different for you, a hump day quiz.

These are not trick questions. And you can probably find the answers by Googling...but where's the fun in it. Answer as many as you can in your comments and let's see who can figure out the most. I'll post the answers next Wednesday.


1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'


 Did you get them all?


Here's a quick funny to reward all that hard work.


A six year old opened his birthday gift from his grandmother and was delighted to find a set of water pistols. He called to his siblings and they raced for the kitchen sink.

The boy's mother was not pleased. She turned to her mother and said, "Why would you get him water pistols? Don't you remember how we used to drive you crazy with them when I was little?"

The grandmother smiled. "Oh yes, dear. I remember." 

Yeah, I guess that qualifies as a little old lady joke.
You know I love those.

 

And here's your weekly "aw".



  Just a few buddies, enjoying their nap.
(Such faces.)


How'd you do on the quiz? Too hard? Too easy? Enough of a distraction to get you over the mid-week hump? I hope so.

Have a fantastic week/weekend. I'll see you next Wednesday (or whenever you stop by).

Thought for Today:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. 


13 comments:

Unknown said...

The quiz made me feel pretty stupid. I got the "dw" one though - dwell & dwindle. (How do they get that darn pear in there? Do they grow it and put in the liquor when it reaches a certain size?) Waiting for answers! Loved the "aw" and hope you have a great day!

Crystal Collier said...

What a fun, different approach. Sorry I missed last week. Lame as it is, I'm limiting my online time to deal with the pregnancy and my newly-explorative toddler. It takes 10 seconds or less to create a disaster. =)

1. Checkers. Or chess.
2. The constitution. Does that count?
3. LOL. I am SO not a gardener, but growing up, we never had to replant our tomatoes that I recall.
4. Raspberry?
5. Heat. Although I don't drink, by heating and rapidly cooling an object, you can create a vacuum.
6. dwell, dwarf
7. YES! Period, comma, colon, semi-colon, question mark, exclamation mark, quotes... Oh wait, that's 8. Moving on.
8. ... You got me there.
9. shoes, socks, sandals, stickers, stilettos, sand

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi LD - # flunk out! # 2 I thought was Mount Rushmore ... but probably not. #3 ? # 4?! #5 I should know; #6 dwarf springs to mind ... t'other two .. brain malfunction! #7 surely I can do these ... ellipses, stop, colon, semi-colon, comma, question mark, exclamation mark, brackets, quotation marks ... enough surely?! # 8 cucumber; # 9 shoes, slippers, slip-ons, socks, will four do?!

Love the story - grandmother getting it back on her daughter ... me thinks!! Cheers for now - Hilary

Mike Keyton said...

Call me Mr Loser. I took one look at the questions and had drink instead. My brain was in holiday mood :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I like quizzes.
1 - boxing
2 - either Death Valley or ocean dunes
3 - I can only think of herbs that do that
4 - pineapple
5 - the glass is blown around the pear?
6 - dweeb and dwaddle
7 - comma, period, question mark, exclamation point, colon, semi-colon, quotations, apostrophes, parentheses, em-dash, dash, underscore, swung-dash
8 - durian
9 - socks, slippers, slipper socks, sandals, snow shoes, snow boots
How'd I do?

Maria Zannini said...

I got suckered into the gardening questions.

#3 I can think of several perennial vegetables but I think that might have to do with what climate zone you're in.
Asparagus for sure. Around here, garlic, kale, chard, onions, horseradish and artichokes.

#4 As for the fruit with the seeds on the outside, that's the strawberry.

#5 I've seen it done with other fruit, so I'm going to assume they grew the pear inside the bottle while it was tiny.

You stumped me on #8 though.

Jemi Fraser said...

Ack! Not feeling smart!
I would assume the pear was a seed,
dwell and dweeb (okay I know that's wrong but it's all I've got! :)),
S = shoe, slipper, ski, skate, sock, snowshoe, swim fin (does that count?)
punctuation = comma, colon, semi-colon, period, exclamation point, question mark, apostrophe (???), ellipse, tilde ... maybe!
bananas for the fruit never frozen etc

okay - I've got lots of guesses and reaching there. now going to see what other people answered! :)

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Linda
I'm terrible at quizes so here's a bit to make you smile.

The dwarf passed around strawberry's to his cousins. All the dwarves in the building wore sandles except for Dwight, who had on slippers.

I posted a short faerie story on my blog.

Nancy

LD Masterson said...

Hi. Sorry to be so slow in responding to your comments. I had to have a wisdom tooth removed that was not cooperative and it sidelined me for a bit. (I still look like a squirrel with a nut tucked into one cheek.)

Lexa - LOL. The "dw" question was one I couldn't get. Drew a total blank. Watch for the answers next Wednesday.

Crystal - Interesting answers. I'll only say you must have had some unusual tomatoes. (And I'll bet you could have got all 14 punctuation marks.)

Hilary - I love how writers can blank on the other stuff but we can rattle off those punctuation marks.

Mike - Well, I'd never say a good drink was a bad option.

Diane - Me, too. I think they're fun. I had to look up "durian". Never heard of it. (Unfortunately, that's not the correct answer as it's often cooked.) You got about half right but you'll have to come back next week to see which half.

Maria - I fear you know more about gardening than the people who put this quiz together. But you're going to kick yourself on #8. It's a very common veggie.

Jemi - LOL. I like dweeb. It wasn't on the answer list but I'd take it. But haven't you ever had a chocolate covered frozen banana at a fair or carnival?

Nancy - Love this. But Dwight doesn't count. He's a proper name. I'll be over to your blog shortly.

Arlee Bird said...

Some of the answers I knew, but didn't have time to google any of them. The answers given by others in the comments helped though.

There are several things that we understand later in life and at least a few that we can use to provide illustrations to our kids. After I became a parent, things that I remember my father saying and doing became a lot clearer to me.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Sherry Ellis said...

Well, this requires too much thinking and time. ;) I'd answer them, if I had more of the latter. Kudos to those who answer!

LD Masterson said...

Lee - LOL, you weren't supposed to Google them. That's fudging. And yes, there are so many things we understand later in life, if only the kids would listen. I guess each generation has to work things out for themselves.

Sherry - Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed the funny, if not the quiz.

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.