Friday, June 3, 2011

I Really Hate to Do This

I started this blog last spring. I really had no idea what I was doing (as I admitted in my first post).  I was polishing an almost finished manuscript and I was five months from retirement - ready to dive full time into my lifelong dream of being a published author.  And I was starting to discover the wealth of resources available to writers online.  One of the first things I learned was unpublished hopefuls need an online presence, so I created a website and started this blog.  

It's been fun.  I've met some great people, found (and keep finding) great blogs to follow, joined a few excellent e-mail groups, taken some really good workshops, and learned a lot about my craft.  I still may not know exactly what I'm doing but I've been having a good time with it and I've picked up a small but lovely group of Followers (bless each and every one of you).

In the meantime, I made the discovery that my finished manuscript was way too big and attempts to trim it down to size just weren't working.  So I disassembled it into two separate stories and started over.

Now I'm almost six months into retirement.  That new first draft that was about 30% complete in February is still about 30% complete.  A couple family issues have been added into the mix and my writing is at a standstill.  Time for drastic action. 

I've seen the word "blogcation" and the phrase "going dark".  I don't know if either fits but I'm basically saying good-bye for at least the month of June.  I'll try to put a blurb on FB every so often so you'll know I'm still around.  Please don't forget me or "unfollow" me before I get back.  

See you later.

10 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Noooooo! I'll miss you, but I completely understand. If things still get too hectic even after a month you could always do less frequent posts, maybe once or twice a week.

Do what you gotta do. I'll be here whenever you get back.

Dru said...

But what about my groaners?

I'll miss you, but will be here when you return. I'll check up on you on Facebook.

Shellie said...

Oh, I done that a couple of times since starting my blog last October. Believe me, I understand. I hope you get a lot of writing done and I'll wait for your return.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I understand. I'll watch for your return.

Liz Fichera said...

Totally understand. Good luck with your manuscript and enjoy the time that you can spend with it. :) See you when you get back.

Cheryl said...

Hi Linda, I've had a couple of time outs for various reasons and people are still there when I return. Life is for you and you need to do what's right for you. Warm wishes, Cheryl

Cathy in AK said...

Do what you have to to find your giddy (even if it isn't a purse or nail polish ;).

Robert Guthrie said...

Do what feeds your soul and your artist, inner-writer still grows!

I'm a big fan of breaks. For me, they're cleansing like a summer downpour.

M Pax said...

Hope your revisions are going well. I just completed about #5 or 6. So, it's normal and you're in good company.

Arlee Bird said...

Still here, but just seeing this news. Get busy! You've got some work to do and you need to get back on the blog page!

Have a wonderful and highly productive summer.


Lee
Tossing It Out