Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Hump Day and Tuxes and Crooks, Oh My...

Happy Hump Day

Okay, you all know I'm a grandmother...well, actually I go by Nana...and like all good Nanas, I'm faintly obsessive about my four incredibly bright, beautiful, talented (okay, I'll stop) grandkids. Most of the time I keep this blog "obsession free" but my eldest went to his first prom last weekend and I just gotta share some pictures. Humor me, okay?

 



I got to help him get ready, which I loved. He needed some assistance with those cufflinks.







 





They were a little stiff at the beginning of the photo session... 











 


 
 

 But when they forgot about us and focused on each other, it was lovely.












 




And, of course, I have to include one close up. 


 


See, that wasn't too bad. Only four shots out of a hundred and...um, never mind.

Now on to your hump day funnies.

Do you enjoy stories about dumb would-be criminals?  Let's see if these give you a laugh.

A man walked into a Louisiana convenience store, put a $20 bill on the counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and demanded all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled, leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer... $15.

(If someone points a gun at you and gives you money, is a crime committed?)

As a female shopper exited a New York convenience store, a man grabbed her purse and ran. The clerk called 911 immediately, and the woman was able to give them a detailed description of the snatcher. Within minutes, the police apprehended the man. They put him in the car and drove back to the store. The thief was then taken out of the car and told to stand there for a positive ID. To which he replied, "Yes, officer, that's her. That's the lady I stole the purse from."

(I almost feel sorry for him.)

The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a Burger King in Ypsilanti , Michigan at 5 AM, flashed a gun, and demanded cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren't available for breakfast. The man, frustrated, walked away.

(Is this like the bank robbery that was thwarted by the clerk who told the robber he'd written his "this is a hold up" note on the back of another bank's withdrawal slip so she couldn't accept it?)

When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.

(I'm torn between laughing and saying "ewwwww".)


Maybe these crooks need a hobby.

 Or not.

I'm running long so let's cut straight to your weekly "aw".

This one could have been a funny but it made me say "aw". 

How about you?

And we're done!

Thanks for putting up with the Nana brag.  I'll try to keep them under control.

I hope you're over the mid week hump and sailing toward the weekend.
Make it a great one.


Question for Today:

How come it takes so little time for a child who is afraid of the dark to become a teenager who wants to stay out all night?

(Oops, I slipped back into Nana mode. Sorry.)

43 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Those prom pictures are precious. Everyone of my boys always needed help with the cuff links.
Great dumb crook jokes.

Maryannwrites said...

Loved the Nana brag. What a lovely couple. Like you, I am glad when my grandkids let me interf... er help with things. (smile)

So who was worried about the friends seeing the hug - the dog or the cat? LOL Thanks for the mid-week laugh.

Mason Canyon said...

Enjoyed the Nana brag. Such a sweet looking couple. Great dumb criminal jokes and cute animals photos. Hope you have a safe and happy week.

Robin said...

The prom pics were great!!!

I always love those dumb criminal stories. The guy who went for the gas and got the sewage had me rolling on the floor.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I say a little grandma bragging is always acceptable. It's especially great that you got to see them off to their prom. (Super pictures, especially that last one.) I was pretty excited when I got to help one of our granddaughters pick out her dress and all the accessories for her homecoming dance.

Good funnies, too. Like you say, I almost feel sorry for some of those dudes. Almost. (They really DO need to get a different "job"...)

Unknown said...

Love the funnies, but oh, love love the pictures of your grandson and all the love in your eyes for him. What a beautiful post. Made me warm just to read it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL! Those are funny. And I'd love to get an outfit like that for my cat.

Your grandson looks very handsome.

LD Masterson said...

Alex - Yeah, it wad. But funny.

Susan G/K - Thanks. I'm pny third generation of cufflink assistance.

Karen - I really was.

Maryann - I love interf...helping.

Mason - Thanks. You, too.

Robin - Don't hurt yourself down there

Susan F. S. - Thanks. I haven't had a chance to do dress duty yet. Hopefully, some day.

Julie - Aw, I thought I was playing it cool.

Diane - Oh no, you wouldn't do that to your poor cat.

Frankie Miller said...

I love your blogs, they really make me happy.
Nanas are the best.
You would hardly believe those crooks were real. I can hardly decide which one was the funniest - perhaps the new type of 'gasoline'?
Love the 'aw' pictures.

Jemi Fraser said...

What a great looking young couple!!

Love the stupid crook stories - makes me shake my head! :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love that kitty and dog photo. Awwww.

Patricia Stoltey said...

LOL -- that picture made me forget to ooh and aww over the prom photos. They look so sweet.

Leandra Wallace said...

Love that gorgeous blue they picked out! Hope they had a fantastic time. Love the funnies!

LD Masterson said...

Fanny - I'm so glad you're enjoying them.

Jemi - Makes you wonder about the gene pool, doesn't it? (The crooks, not the kids.)

Patricia - Hah. I knew you'd say it.

Leandra - They did. And thanks.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous young couple, Nana! (I'm jealous because although I'm certainly old enough for nanahood, none of my four kids has spawned yet...)

Maybe I should take up knitting for the cat?

Stephanie Faris said...

Aww...I love prom pictures. They make a sweet couple!

Al Diaz said...

Your grandson is very good looking, must run in the family. You're a sweet nana.
Eeeww for the one of the sewage tank.

Unknown said...

Your grandkid and his date are so cute! I love how her dress matches his vest. I think the criminals in those stories are going to be breaking into the jail next. What is the cat holding? A goat? A bunny? I'm getting so old my eyes don't work right anymore. :P

Mike Keyton said...

The crook stories? Reassuring. If only they were the majority

mooderino said...

When the robber was told onion rings couldn't be served for breakfast I'm surprised he didn't shoot the clerk. Justifiable homicide.

mood
Moody Writing

LD Masterson said...

barbtaub - Threaten to take up knitting for the kids...if someone does provide you with a grandchild.

Stephanie - Thanks. I tihnk so.

Al - Yeah, he looks like his grandfather.

Lexa - She showed my son a picture of her dress before he took my grandson out tux hunting so they'd be color coordinated. Smart girl. (The cat is holding a puppy with it's nose pointed upward.)

Mike - If only.

mood - Whoa. You must really want your onion rings in the morning.



farawayeyes said...

OK, so I'm a day late, but I'm glad I came. I cannot believe that you're a Nana, t a child old enough to go to the Prom. Great looking couple, BTW.

Those dumb criminals really give me a laugh. BTt that cat in the sweater, had me spit chocolate all over the computer screen.

mshatch said...

Love that last pic of the kids, they look sweet :)

And contact me! You won my book!

LD Masterson said...

farawayeyes - Um, would you believe I had my first born when I was twelve? Nah, didn't think so. (Hope you got your screen cleaned.)

mshatch - I'm a winner? How cool is that? I'll e-mail you. Thanks.

Arlee Bird said...

The sewage story was disgusting. Dumb criminals are always good for a laugh when they don't hurt anyone.

Funny about darkness. I was never all that afraid of the dark and used to love staying out at night when I was little. In my young adult years I would sometimes go on night hikes in the mountains. I wrote a post about this in my first few weeks of blogging back in 2009.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Tyrean Martinson said...

Beautiful pictures of your grandson and his date! That's so sweet! A little Nana brag is good. It makes the world a happier place. :)

And I'm thankful for criminals that are foolish. :) The first one was the funniest for me. And the second made me think that the clerk must have been pretty brave.

~Sia McKye~ said...

LOL! I hear you on the journey of being afraid of the dark to wanting to stay out all night. Except my kid can't last all night--his friends tease him about finding a place to curl up at some point and usually with guitar in hand.

Love the close up. Had to make your heart just melt, didn't it?

As for the criminals--we're getting a clue here WHY they don't have paying jobs...

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Marcia said...

Very nice photos. And love the stupid crooks stories. But that last one...eww. I guess sometimes they get what they have coming even before the cops show up.

LD Masterson said...

Lee - I'm a bit of a night owl myself. I love to be outside at night. It's the best part of camping.

Tyrean - Maybe the clerk could tell she was dealing with a doofus.

Sia - Good point. I guess stupidity could force one into a life of crime.

Marcia - Yeah, maybe that was too "eww" to include. But the mental image was just so funny.

Anonymous said...

The kid pics are so lovely! It's fun watching the kids in our neighborhood go to prom. So cute to see them in their tuxes and dresses.

LD Masterson said...

Liz - Oh Lord, don't call them cute. On prom night, in their very expensive tuxes and dresses, they're way to "grown up" to be cute.

Heather R. Holden said...

Aw, what sweet prom pictures! :)

The weekly "aw" had me both giggling and aw-ing!

Michael Di Gesu said...

As usual an enjoyable post, LD...

I still can't believe you are the grandmother of a teen....YOU look AMAZING!!!!

I sure they had a great time!


LOVED the stories... too funny!

Looking forward to next week's....

Have a wonderful weekend!

Maria Zannini said...

Their first foray into adulthood, before taxes and mortgage payments. :)

I hope they enjoy it for a while longer.

LD Masterson said...

Heather - Hey, two birds with one...er...picture.

Michael - Oh, go on. (Serious, go on. Amazing? I like that.)

Maria - Shush! I'm not ready for that A-word.

Sarah Allen said...

Such adorable and beautiful pictures :)

Sarah Allen
(From Sarah, With Joy)

Margo Kelly said...

Oh. My. Gosh. The prom pictures are awesome! My daughter just attended her senior prom on Saturday. They were so cute!!

Cate Masters said...

Such sweet photos! I'm not ready for that age group yet. Thankfully mine are all five and under. :)

Nicki Elson said...

Hey, my daughter went to prom this past weekend! I spent most of her life telling her that prom was not nearly what it's all built up to be...only to become completely giddy about the whole affair as the big day approached. So much fun. Your grandson and his date look smashing. Hope they had a great time.

Thanks for giving me some fuel to make it UP this week's hump!

LD Masterson said...

Sarah - Thanks.

Margo - Did you post pictures? I'll pop over and check.

Cate - Enjoy. They'll be in formal wear before you know what happened.

Nicki - It's so hard. You don't want to let it get blown out of proportion but you want it to be a really special event. Hope it was perfect for her.

Tina said...

LOVE the grandma bragging, keep it coming! LOL on the stupid crooks. The sewage one wins, but the others were sure good competition!
Tina @ Life is Good
On the Open Road! @ Join us for the 4th Annual Post-Challenge Road Trip!

Crystal Collier said...

What an adorable grandson! You had me laughing like normal, so thank you for that. I always look forward to your hump day posts. =)

nutschell said...

What a sweet couple! Love the pictures!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com