Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Random Thoughts and Rolling Eyes

Happy Hump Day

(Two weeks in a row. Can you believe it?)

I tried a different format last time and I think I'll stay with it for now. 

Random thoughts...

On writing -

I read a blog post a while back - I can't remember the author - about the problem of roving body parts in writing. You know the type of thing I mean... "Her eyes traveled around the room." or  "His jaw dropped to the floor."  Yes, we all know it's unlikely a pair of eyeballs were wandering around the room or a jaw actually hit the floor, so these sentences probably need to be re-written.

But the author of this particular post also took exception to the phrase "she rolled her eyes".  I don't agree with that one. The gesture commonly referred to as rolling one's eyes usually includes looking upward and then to the side and possibly down (if added emphasis is needed)...actually using the eye muscles to move the eyeball in its socket. Maybe not a complete roll but at least a partial circle. More importantly, the phrase "rolled her eyes" to describe this gesture is so commonplace it's like using the word "shrug" to describe the quick lifting and lowering of the shoulders. It defines the action and everyone knows what it means.

I know I'm in a minority here but I'm just curious. Does anyone agree that "rolled her eyes" should be removed from the list of roving body part no-nos?

On family -

I'd like to congratulate the Indian Hill High School Braves Wrestling Team on taking first place in the Cincinnati Hills League Championship for the second straight year. 


I especially want to congratulate my grandson Cooper who wrapped up his high school wrestling career this year by winning the CHL individual championship in his weight class, making it into the fourth round at Districts, and compiling a record of 106 wins during his four years as co-captain of the varsity wrestling team. 


 He's already committed to wrestle for Gettysburg College next year.

Am I bragging? Heck, yeah.


Your Happy Hump Day Funny -

During a visit to my doctor I asked, " How do you determine whether or not an older person should be put in an old age home?"

"Well," he said, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the person to empty the bathtub."

"Oh, I get it," I said. "A normal person would use the bucket because it is bigger than the spoon or the teacup." "No. A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"



And, of course, your Aw -



Don't you want to give him a big hug?


That's all for today. If you've made it this far, please take another minute and say hi. It makes my day.

Have a great week.

Words of wisdom for today:

Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
 

17 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi LD - congratulations to Cooper ... looks like he's going to be a great all rounder - good for him. Rolling your eyes ... I'd keep it ... it tells its own story - sometimes secretly, sometimes overtly. I'd be in an old age home if I was asked that question ... I will now extricate myself ... both feet out and I'm off! Have a good week - cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Rolling the eyes signifies annoyance or disobedience - it's not a roaming body part at all.It's the universal sign for "Whatever!" The eyes really do roll and everyone knows what it means. I say keep using it.

Pull the plug - LOL!

Maria Zannini said...

I agree with you. Anyone who's ever dealt with a teenager will tell you it's a real thing. 🙄

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congrats to Conner.
I think eyes really do roll.

Murees Dupè said...

You always have the best awe's. Congratulations to your grandson. That is quite an achievement. I'm guilty of using "rolled her/ his eyes" in my writing. Its one of those signature prases parents always use with kids, especially teenagers. "Don't you roll your eyes at me, Mr."

Stacy McKitrick said...

Loved the funny. Made me laugh. Thank you.
Yes to rolling eyes. My characters do it. Heck, I do it! :D

Arlee Bird said...

I think certain terms are easy ways of expressing what we can all reasonably grasp. I guess that the good writer needs to say things in a unique or different way than common expressions, but it's also easier to be lazy and use "cliche" or common phraseology to get a point across without dwelling on it to an excess.

Gosh, it's something I rarely thought about, but now you'll probably have me thinking a bit more about in the future.

If I were to use a bucket to empty a tub then I'd have to go out and buy one first. I'm thinking now and can you believe we don't have any buckets in our house? Yeah, I'm thinking and I'm pretty sure we don't have one. Crazy.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Computer Tutor said...

Fun post. Lots of great info, good job (I'll be resharing) and a 5 star dog picture. You also caught my attention with your avatar. A human skull--that's my area! Needless to say, I've subscribed!

LD Masterson said...

Hilary - Thanks all around. Cheers.

Diane - That's what I think. I don't understand why so many writers have a problem with it.

Maria - Oh, yeah. Teenagers are the masters of the eye roll.

Alex - Thank you. (Um, to Cooper, too?) And so do I.

Murees - I love a good aw. Do you ever have people call you out for using the phrase?

Stacy - LOL. I think we all do it. It's just a matter of what we call it.

Arlee - So you are not a fan of the phrase? To me, any other description seems clunky or too wordy. And you really need a bucket. I have no idea why, I just seems like everyone should have a bucket.

Jacqui - Thank you so much! I loving having a new visitor. Did you notice there are bullet holes in that skull? It was part of a forensic class. (Honest!)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

There's nothing wrong with 'roll her eyes.' I'm pretty aware of the roving body parts thing and yet I see it all the time in 'famous' successful writers' novels. I guess they're allowed to have eyes that roam the room.
My oldest son played football at Gettysburg College and graduated from there. It's a terrific school and a lovely little town. Hope you get to visit.

Jemi Fraser said...

My characters all roll their eyes!! and they will continue to do so :)
Congrats to your grandson - that's fabulous!!
Thanks for the Awwwww! :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

"HI!!!" (Did I make your day...?)

I'm with you. I think it's perfectly acceptable to refer to eye-rolling, especially when writing about a teenage girl. :)

Talking about teenagers, congratulations to your grandson! You've got every right to be proud.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I agree that rolling eyes is a legitimate expression and not a roving body part, but it can be--and is--overused, especially in YA books.

LD Masterson said...

Susan G/K - LOL. We know 'famous' authors are allowed to break the rules because they're...you know, famous. That's very cool that we have a college connection. It was his number one choice. Gettysburg is a 7 - 8 hours drive so I don't think I'll get over there often but I'll definitely be there to see him wrestle some time.

Jemi - Roll on! And thanks.

Susan F.S. - Yes, you did! Oh yeah, I have two teenage girls in my life right now and they're masters at it. (I attended Cooper's first Lacrosse game of the season last night. After four years of football every fall, wrestling in the winter, and lacrosse in the spring, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself next year.)

Donna - I agree that it can be overused. Something to be careful of. I just had a problem with it being considered a roving body part. A lot of articles I've read insist that it is. Thanks for your input.

Mike Keyton said...

I don't think roving body parts is a burning offence other than overuse or cliche. It does raise the question as to whether metaphors are acceptable or not, or whether some metaphors are more acceptable than others. I think this demands a march on Washington :)

LD Masterson said...

Mike - I can't march on Washington. My knees are shot and I have a blind dog to take care of. Oh well.

mshatch said...

Uh oh. I think I'm ready for that home, lol.