Friday, March 29, 2013

April 1st - Something for Everyone


I'm not published yet, nor am I an active reviewer (it's just something I'm not good at) so I'm probably not the best person to discuss all the ramification of this latest development but I've got to admit it makes me very uneasy. Can I get your thoughts on Amazon taking over Goodreads? Good or bad for writers? For readers?

I know in my circle of blog friends there is much excitement over the start of the A to Z Challenge on April 1.  I'm not participating in the challenge but I try to visit as many A to Z bloggers as I can. Best of luck to all you brave participants.

For me, April 1 is exciting for a couple other reasons. First, it's opening day for my beloved Boston Red Sox.  I'm really hoping I can make a prigrimage to Boston this summer and see a game at Fenway Park...or as we call it in my family, Mecca.

The other reason I'm excited about April 1 is I'm hosting author Carol Kilgore.  Carol is coming by to share all her most intimate secrets. You won't want to miss this.
 
 I can't do a post this morning without mentioning the significance of this day to me as a Christian. This is the day my Lord endured the torment of Crucifixion so that I might have eternal life. If you are a Christian, take time today to stop and remember.



Okay, don't forget to leave your thoughts on the Amazon/Goodreads news.


Have a very joyous and blessed Easter.




Joke of the Day:

Paddy opened the morning newspaper and was dumbfounded to read in the obituary column that he had died. He quickly phoned his best friend, Sean.

"Did you see the paper?" asked Paddy. "They say I died!!"

"Yes, I saw it!" replied Sean. "Where are ye callin' from?"

(Should I have called that one a groaner?)

16 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL!

Amazon taking over Goodreads - scary.

Our Lord died for us today so that we didn't have to.

Maria Zannini said...

I have a feeling a lot of chocolate, meat, desserts will be consumed after April 1st. :)

Happy Easter.

Mike Keyton said...

Astute and understandable from Amazon's pov. Effect? Probably neutral. And yes - the three most important days of the year are upon us.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Baseball does start next week! Bet some teams will be playing in snow.
Have a blessed Easter, LD.

Al Diaz said...

Ah, baseball! My grandfather was like the greatest baseball fan ever.
I'll be remembering which day is today as it always rains around 3pm and there is strong wind. Never fails.
Happy Easter to you.

Carol Kilgore said...

Happy Easter!
I love the Easter Bunny image :)

Oh, yes. I will be sharing secrets. Stay tuned....

Maryannwrites said...

I heard the news about Amazon and Goodreads, but have not read enough about it to have an opinion. I do know on some levels it is scary the way Amazon is domineering the publishing world.

Love your Easter message and the picture. Cutest bunny!

On another note, I nominated you for the Shine On Blog Award. This one is different from some of the others that have the same questions for everyone. For this, each participant comes up with new ones, so I have 5 that pertain to blogging. I know you have said before that doing all that is involved with the awards can be challenging, so participate at whatever level makes you comfortable. I didn't post rules, only guidelines. (smile)

The details are on my blog today http://its-not-all-gravy.blogspot.com/

LD Masterson said...

Diane - Yes, I find it scary as well.
And Amen.

Maria - Ice cream. I'm heading for the ice cream.

Mike - Yes, the three most important days of all.

Karen - And to you.

Alex - Naw. Baseball gets called for snow. But I bet they'll be freezing their little kajeenkies off.

Al - Gotta love tradition. Even Mother Nature's.

Carol - Oooo, steamy stuff...

Maryann - Amazon is starting to feel like Big Brother.

Thanks for thinking of me on the award. I'm running really late on my blog visits today but I'll be there.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I hadn't heard about Amazon taking over Goodreads, so I don't know enough about it to have an intelligent opinion. Ar first blush, though, I'm not sure it's a good thing, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. (I wonder if that would mean the reviews we write for one will automatically publish on the other site, as well...) Interesting.

A very happy Easter to you. (And "groaners" are my favorite kind of joke.)

mshatch said...

Amazons takeover of Goodreads = good for readers but not so good for writers is my guess.

LD Masterson said...

Susan - Wait and see is probably our only real option. Love to meet groaner fan.

mshatch - In the long run, I don't have a good feeling about either one.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi LD,

Happy Easter to you too!

Thanks for dropping by my blog ... Looking forward to your comments for the A -Z..

Unknown said...

Happy and blessed Easter to you and yours!

And I'm looking forward to a great baseball season too!

Mason Canyon said...

I'm not sure I like the idea of Amazon taking over Goodreads. Hopefully it will work. Looking forward to Carol's post. Wishing you and your family a wonderful and Happy Easter.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

DL Hammons said...

As far as A to Z goes...on your mark...get ready...

:)

LD Masterson said...

Michael - I'll be there as often as I can.

Chase - Is that you, Stephen?

Mason - Carol, post is the next thing on my do-list.

DL - Have at it, you crazy bloggers.