Monday, May 23, 2011

Scammed by a Dog?

Those of you who have been following this blog for a while know my household is occupied by myself, my hubby of many decades, and our child (canine variety), Brandi.  Brandi is fifteen and suffers many of the usual complaints of old age.  Her vision is failing, as is her hearing, and she has arthritis. 



Because of these various ailments, she takes serveral daily medications.  Brandi is pretty good about taking her meds - if I tuck each pill into a small blob of canned dog food and feed it to her by hand.  Usually I do the meds first and then put the rest of the allotted canned food into her bowl and she takes it from there. 

Until last week.

On Friday I noticed that she wasn't eating the food in her bowl.  She was licking all around the edges but not getting any of the chunky parts.  Concerned, I knelt beside her and started scooping up small amounts of food onto my fingers and feeding her bite by bite.  She ate the whole meal and seemed happy.  I decided she must have been having trouble picking up the chunks.  We repeated this routine on Saturday and Sunday.  I put the food in her dish, she licked around the edges, and I fingerfed her the rest.

This morning, as I was hand feeding her little fingerfulls of dog goop, it occured to me that this can didn't have any chunks.  It was pretty much all goop.  Nice soft disgusting goop.  Which I had put in her bowl and she had given a couple token licks before turning to me for help.  No chunks.  Nothing to pick up.  No reason she couldn't eat it herself.  But here I was, sitting on the floor, fingerfeeding her royal highness as she graciously accepted each morsel. 

Am I being had?  Is the old girl putting one over on me...just because she can?  What do you think?


Feed Me.
I'm Currently Enjoying:  Suspense and Sensibility by Carrie Bebris

Groaner of the Day:  I had a dream the other night. I was in the old West riding in a stagecoach. Suddenly, a man riding a horse pulls up to the left side of the stagecoach, and a riderless horse pulls up on the right.

The man leans down, pulls open the door, and jumps off his horse into the stagecoach. Then he opens the other door and jumps onto the other horse.

Just before he rode off, I yelled out, "What was all that about?"

He replied, "Nothing. It's just a stage I'm going through."

16 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

Of course you're being had. She's enjoying the quality time with you and ain't giving it up!

I think I actually GROANED on your groaner (usually I laugh).

Have a good day!

GigglesandGuns said...

Seems Brabdi has trained you well. LOL My daughter's beagle hasn't trained anyone but me.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Mary - Maybe you were the most trainable. :grin:

Linda Leszczuk said...

Stacy - Dang, I was afraid of that.

Just a groan? Not even a chuckle?

Maria Zannini said...

I'll bet if you put real meat in that bowl, she won't wait for you to handfeed her. Maybe she's bored with her food?

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That might be the all time biggest groan. When my dog was older he some trouble with eating certain foods because he had a bad tooth. Took care of tooth and he was fine.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like she's enjoying the TLC :)

Dru said...

She has you eating right out of her hands (paws).

Love the groaner.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Maria - You mean that expensive 100% meat canned food really isn't? Gasp!

I don't think it's boredom because we try to mixed up different kinds, but I'll bet you're right about putting some nice steak in her bowl.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Jemi - Yup, that's what I think. And she's milking it for all she's worth.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Susan - Aw, was the groaner really that bad?

Brandi has lost a few teeth, including one that had to be surgically removed but I'm fairly certain her teeth are okay because of how she tears through doggie treats. Munch munch.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Dry - Ah, wait a minute. I thought she was eating out of mine. (But she's definitely calling the shots around here.)

Robert Guthrie said...

I salute Brandi and you! Both have a good thing going!

Stephen Tremp said...

I think of that dog food commercial from years back where the dog chases the stage coach and it disappears into the wall. I think it was Chuck Wagon dog food.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Hi Robert. I haven't seen you in a while. Welcome back.

Yeah, Brandi and I are buds.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Stephen - I remember that one. Yes, I think it was Chuck Wagon brand. Remember Gravy Train? The commercial showed a cup of hot water turning dry dog food into yummy chunks swimming in a delicious gravy. Actually, all it did was turn dry dog food into wet dog food.